Wednesday, January 30, 2008

INDIE ISLAND :: Kevin Huizenga and Dan Zettwoch Join Guest List!

Man, is this ever exciting for me! I've been too busy to get to this the last few days, but just added to the Indie Island Guest List are two cartoonists who I'm still fairly new to, but CRAZY about already. Kevin Huizenga is the one of the most talked-about "indie" creators in comics, slowly building up an ouevre of incredibly acclaimed comics. Curses, which reprints stories from Drawn & Quarterly Showcase, Sparkplug's Orchid, Kramer's Ergot, and his own Or Else, is one of the smartest comic books I've ever read, period. Don't take my word for it, either--it was near the top of practically every critics' list, and was featured as one of Time's top 10 comics of the year in 2006. I was a little late in reading it, I guess. He's also the author of the Fantagraphics series Ganges, part of the "Ignatz" line: #2 comes out in March. I'd say more, but I'll be writing a more fleshed-out review later, so I'll save all the breathless stuff for there. Let's just say he'll make a great addition to an already amazing Indie Island!

I've read less of Dan Zettwoch's comics, but the two strips of his I've enjoyed most were his "Spirit Duplicator" (see below) in the most recent Comic Art, and the "Cross Fader" strip in the last Kramer's Ergot. Dan is one of those guys who make it look easy; although the more you look at this strips the more you realize how well-made they are. I look forward to more book length stuff from him, although I suspect his illustration work keeps him pretty busy. Dan also runs the USS Catastrophe minicomics website, although I believe it is closing/has closed its doors. But with any luck, he and Kevin will bring whatever they have left to the show!

11 comments:

Dan Morris said...

OH Man this is great! Two of the USS Catastrophe guys! Hopefully the store will start carrying Dan's Schematic Comics mini soon (if it's still available at Beunaventura). Any chance that we might see Ted May if these guys are showing up?

Andy Mansell said...

CURSES should be required reading for everyone. in addition to very challenging stories for grown-ups, Kevin uses that clean-line art ala Herge and it makes for crystal clear storytelling. Great stuff.

Spirit Duplicator is just amazing. Great page lyout and a variety of styles really work in a charming and exciting way.

I am off to the USS Catastrophe site right now!

Thanks!!!!!!

Dustin Harbin said...

I've gotta say, Curses was pretty impressive. I'd read some of his stuff before, but it took really sitting down and immersing myself for a few days to really absorb it. There's so much going on at once that it's a little dizzying. He says a ton without really saying much, indicating ideas rather than explaining or proposing them. Delicious!

Rich Barrett said...

Oh man, I think I asked about the possibility of getting Kevin Huizenga a few posts back and didn't think you'd actually do it. This blog really works!

Let's try this: Hey, Dustin, can you get me a Wii?

Dan Morris said...

Andy if you haven't already (and I can't remember if it's in Curses or not), Gloriana as reprinted in Or Else #2 is required reading when it comes to Kevin Huizenga.

Oh and if you can find it (and it might be difficult), when it comes to Dan Zettwoch you need to find a copy of Iron Clad, the mini he did about the battle between the Merrimack and the Monitor that has to be seen to be believed.

Dustin Harbin said...

Hold on Rich--let me see what I can do. Hey Dan, can you find Rich a Wii? If you can, I'll see what I can do about convincing Ted May to come.

Ben Towle said...

This rülz. These are absolutely two of my favorite cartoonists working today. Dustin, if'n you liked CURSES, definitely try to track down some of his other stuff. CURSES, as good as it was, didn't even have some of what I think are his best stories. Pick up GANGES, and GANGES #2 (out soon) to start.

Remind me about IRON CLAD before the Con and I can probably scare up a copy for you. When I saw that thing at SPX back in the day, it blew my mind and I bought a few extra copies.

-B.

Dustin Harbin said...

What's funny, Ben, is that I met Kevin at SPX 2005, and bought all the Or Else's (except #1) from him then. I also bought Ganges and Curses when they came out, and only recently read all of it. I think I did read Ganges a year or whatever ago, but this time it really sang for me. #2 comes out next month, I think.

I would be eternally indebted if you find a copy of Iron Clad (or two--I know Andy will want one as well).

Ben Towle said...

You and Andy may have to scrap it out. I'll have to dig around and see what I've got. I'm pretty sure I've got at least one extra...but whatever I've got (besides mine, of course!) I'll bring with me, with the caveat that if there's only one, and you and Andy engage in any sort of hand-to-hand combat, that I be present.

Dustin Harbin said...

Hm. How about tonsil hockey as the contest of choice? Andy, I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do ain't pretty.

Andy Mansell said...

Well, count me in for anything BUT the tonsil hockey.....Uvula's Aren't Hard to Find...