Friday, April 11, 2008

SLICE OF LIFE :: Iron Man Movie = Awesome

I’ve been disappointed by most of the comic book movies. For the most part they have been enjoyable, but never live up to my expectations for story content, characterization, and honor to the source material. If a producer wants to do a superhero story, why not make it as close to the comic as possible? I was blessed this week with an opportunity to see Iron Man and I can emphatically say... Finally, someone has nailed it!

Iron Man is as close to perfect as a superhero movie has been. The origin is right. It is properly paced to give it time to develop. The motivations are correct. The casting is incredible. The sets are cool as they can be. The Iron Man tech is so believable! Subplots, characterizations and motivations are all right on target. There is real drama, lots of suspense and tons of humor, just like all good Marvel comics I fell in love with. I don’t want to give anything away, but just know that the trailer doesn’t do it justice. There is cool stuff going on all the way through. Anybody off the street (I call them "civilians") will enjoy this movie, but there are plenty of comic book references and homage to satisfy all of us "vets."

I can’t say enough good things about this movie. Everyone, please go see it Friday, May 2nd and we can all discuss how cool is at Free Comic Book Day (shameless plug for our annual party extraordinaire) on Saturday May 3rd. I’m so excited!

4 comments:

Rusty Baily said...

Sweeeeet! Nice spoiler-free review Shelton! I'm not even an Ironman fan(For that matter, not a huge RD Jr fan-although, I have to say...perfect casting!), but I'm gonna be there opening weekend!!! Thanx for the review!

Vee ! said...

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Iron Man. Also, what's the plan for Free Comic Book Day?

Shawn Daughhetee said...

The store will be open from 10am to 9pm. There will be artists coming in from 1-6pm. There will be lots of free comics to be had!

Andy Mansell said...

Most importantly FCBD is a GAS!! One of the most fun days of the year. There is a love of comics and drawing in the air that is palapable (sic?). Heroes does an awesome job--I can't wait.
Also
the last time Shelton was this excited about a movie was when Batman Begins opened. Judging by Shelton's critical track record, IM sounds like a MUST-SEE!

PS-- We demand more reviews from Shelton!!
Remember:
The customers are always right!!