Friday, July 11, 2008

MICHAEL TURNER :: 1971 - 2008

As many of you know, the comic book industry lost, in my humble opinion, one of the brightest stars in the business recently. Michael Turner (4/21/71 - 6/27/08 ) passed away of complications from bone cancer. At only 37, he left an unmistakable imprint on the scene, and I thought it odd, that his death didn't seem to get too much press coverage. His body of work was breath-taking.

The one example that instantly pops into mind is the Justice League of America # 10 cover that was swirling in controversy for some reason. If I remember correctly, most people were complaining about some silliness called "proportion", and using crazy words like "reality". Little hint here people...it's a comic book. If you want proportion or reality look at a book of photographs! It was a beautiful piece! And not just in the way you think I'm talking about! I LIKE the exaggerations in his art. It made it fun to look at!

My favorite piece has to be the four alternate Fathom # 4 covers. I have those framed, and hanging under my surfboard, and I must say, they are B-E-A-U-tiful! For a guy with so many other extreme talents/distractions, he seemed so focused on his art. For an award winning water-skier, martial artist, and avid video game player, he just seemed like the total package.

But regardless of how anybody feels, I think the man was a genius, and will be missed! RIP Michael Turner.

No comments: