Thursday, September 4, 2008

REPORT! :: Watchmen Discussion Group.

Ten-hut! Though it seems like nearly five days ago now, it was actually just last Saturday that we had our biggest-ever Heroes Discussion Group, helmed as ever by the supple Andy Mansell! While I'm sure part of the credit for the roughly 25-person turnout was the topic itself, an unknown little book by the name of "Watchmen", I like to think most of the credit goes to Andy himself. He really knocked this one out of the park! I've probably read Watchmen at LEAST six or seven times all the way through, and Andy brought up some things that I'd never even dreamed were there--really a fascinating conversation.

But don't take my word for it: I've posted a few scratchy cellphone-camera photos of the discussion, which this time took place across the street from our store at the Philosopher's Stone restaurant. Our buddy Vy had her fancy-dan camera out, so hopefully she'll be posting her photos to her own Flickr account, or post a link to same in the comments below. Thanks to everyone who came and made it such a huge success! I believe the next discussion will be around the end of the month, and feature Notes For A War Story, by Gipi. I'll try to get a date hammered out tomorrow before I send out the Heroes Hotline!

7 comments:

Vee ! said...

You can find my photos from the Watchmen event here:

http://flickr.com/photos/cynnova/sets/72157607034810789/

The Watchmen discussion was totally mind-blowing. Andy, please come teach at Winthrop.

Andy Mansell said...

Thanks for the kind words Dusty and Vee!! What a group!! We had to fight glare, traffic noise, Davinci Last supper kind of set up and still you all made the conversation nothing short of thrilling. I am so proud to be part of this!! Please plan on coming to future installments!!
Let us know if you prefer the dinner and discussion. Remember your suggestions will only make things better as we move forward.

Andy Mansell said...

One more thing! Great pictures Vee!! You REALLY have an eye!! I loved the way you captured the light dimming as the night went on.

Anonymous said...

"creepier, creepier, and creepier!"

as a first-timer, i have to say that the discussion was fantastic, andy! i don't think it could have gone any better! i'm totally looking forward to talks in the future - i think the p-stone was a great idea. it was awesome to hear what everybody had to say, food=good, and the atmosphere was way comfy.

and i agree, great pictures, vee!

Rusty Baily said...

NICE shots Vy!!! The one with Matt and Danielson is awseome! They look like they're hangin' on every word comin out of Andy's mouth!(which is easy to do!) I'll make one of these eventually!

Unknown said...

I knew the book was deep, but not until Andy's dissection did I see HOW deep. Somebody could write a dissertation on this book! Andy, you did a great job of finding stuff and explaining it to us; you're just as smart as everybody has been saying. Thanks for an amazing discussion.
--Veronica

Credit Loan Solution said...


My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)