The Heroes Discussion Group returns with a vengeance!!
We are sticking with the mainstream and this time we are going to tackle the immensely popular Umbrella Academy written by Gerard Way front man for the band My Chemical Romance (MCR).
Please join us on Monday May 18th at 7:00pm when we will be discussing the "The Apocalypse Suite," the first storyline of Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba's The Umbrella Academy. The book is available from Heroes in both single back issues (1-6) or as a recently released softcover collection.
PLEASE NOTE: The single issues on the rack at Heroes are 1-5 of the second series. We will be discussing the first series!!!!!!
Potential topics will include (but are NOT limited to) the following:
• Does the cartoony art properly service a super-hero story? Were Ba's references and influences a help or hinder to the storytelling?
• Could you relate to any of the characters on a gut level?
• Does any of MCR's music overlap into Gerard Way's comics writing?
• Did the creators successfully capture the European feel they were striving for?
• Does the story hold up well on a second reading?
• And lots and lots of plot points I don't want to mention here so we can avoid spoilers for those who have not yet read?
• If we have time, I'd love to discuss the covers as well. James Jean is a true talent!
So please join us for this exciting discussion!! Remember the The Apocalypse Suite is offered at 10% discount as long as you remember to mention the Heroes Discussion discount when you purchase it!
Hope to see you on May 18th It's gonna be terrific!