So how on earth can we possibly top the last three discussion groups?
In the past few months, we had Matt Fraction join us for a dissection of Iron Man.
Then we had an in-depth analysis of the Umbrella Academy.
Finally we had our infamous panel-by-panel discussion of Brave and the Bold #4 with Mark Waid and George Perez at HeroesCon.
Well how about this to start off the post-con season: come to the store on Monday July 27th at 6:00pm, and we will discuss Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel about growing up in Iran: Persepolis.
Topic will include:
- The author's use of cartoon-y art for extremely serious topics
- Looking at the story as a whole or as two separate graphic novels combined
- How do readers from the West relate to Islamic society?
- How reliable is our narrator?
- and many, many more...
If you have not read the book, you are in for a treat. It is impossible to read the book without some emotional attachment; so come by and tell us about it -- or just come by to listen-- participation is NOT mandatory.
Ater we have spent an hour or so discussing the book and it's influences we will turn off the lights and watch the animated film adaptation of the book right in the store!
Once we have finished watching the award-winning movie, we will retire across the street for libations and a discussion that will focus on the adaptation of the book into the film, including:
- What worked and what did not?
- We can discuss scenes that were added or removed or combined from the original graphic novel
- Could the movie have been more successful in CGI or even as a live action film?
- We can discuss the success or failure of other comic related movies
- We can have a round-table about adaptations in general:
- How do we view the films if we've already read the book?
- Can films be judged on their own merit without citing their source material?
- and a whole lot more...Trust us -- this conversation could go on into the wee hours.
This will be a unique and exciting discussion--all we ask is that you read Persepolis prior to July 27th. A previous viewing of the film is not necessary
If you cannot make the early 6:00pm start time, please plan to arrive by 7:30 pm when we will promptly start the film!
So come one, come all, tell your friends!!
We will see you at 6:00pm on Monday July 27th and remember, you can purchase Persepolis at Heroes and receive a 10% DISCOUNT-- all you need to do is mention the Discussion Group Discount when you are checking out!